.


I've been crazy about clear vinyl bags this season. I quickly realized it would be a long time before I would be able to afford a Furla Candy model but this Jil Sander orange tote was so easy to replicate it was almost stupid. It finally put the yard of neon orange vinyl I've had lying around to use.
The construction is simple. The entire bag is cut in 1 big piece. A large rectangle with a smaller rectangle cut out of the center. Keep the sides 4 or 5" thick on either side of the cut to make for thick straps. Fold the rectangle in half and sew the sides 3/4 of the way up to allow for the handle holes. Turn the entire thing right side out and fold the sides in 2 to 2 1/2" so the handle sides meet. The outside of the handles are folded over while the insides are left raw. Pin the folds down at the bottom and sew straight across the bottom of the bag to seal it shut. This seam will remain on the outside while the others are folded in. 
Thats all. It probably wasn't the clearest description but I figured all this out by looking at photos of the bag and also considering the construction of a plastic grocery bag, which this design was originally based off of. 
You could make this in any color vinyl. Most fabric shops have at least clear. If there is a plastics shop in your area they often sell this material in rainbow colors by the yard. If your out of luck, use a shower curtain! Happy bag making to all of you!

Categories: ,

9 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    It's funny how you're always ragging about copy-cats, yet that's all you do!!! Kinda like the times you friended people on FB and immediately stole ideas for clothes and theme parties from those people, yet never even acknowledged them personally. What's going on with the bags and dark circles under your eyes these days? Could it be from all the catty, insecure dirty looks you so generously dole out whilst sauntering your emaciated little ass up and down Broadway?

  2. When have I ragged about copy cats? I pointed out Lady Gaga's Nina Hagen copying exactly twice and that's really all I can think of. I'd love to know who I "immediately stole" ideas from and I've only thrown a couple club parties in my life. One was themed. I suppose I stole the idea for it from Hairspray, just the way Adrian Ryan pointed out in the Stranger's blurb about it. The only bags I see in this post are bright orange and vinyl. I don't give people dirty looks, I think you have me mistaken. It's a shame you are so ashamed of this rude comment that you had to hide behind an anonymous badge. If you have this much of a problem with little ol' me you should either bring it up in person or stop reading my blog/facebook/or anything else I post because it's really a giant waste of your time and mine.

  3. Anonymous says:

    Eff the haters. You're fantastic.

  4. Anonymous says:

    I enjoy reading your posts Stella and I've always considered you a major fashion inspiration in Seattle. Some people drink too much hateraid.

  5. Thanks Anonymous, I guess not all anons are full of spite!
    Evelina-Thank you so much, you are always so sweet!

  6. Eda says:

    This posting is really interesting.
    Thank you for share it :)

    E<3

  7. Claire says:

    ooo nicely done, might have to have a crack at this, I've loved the Jill Sander bag ever since I saw it in Vogue probably cos it reminds me of my old vinyl My Little Pony swimbag!

  8. Thanks Eda!
    Claire, you should try! If my description was confusing just look at the construction of a plastic grocery bag and you'll see what I mean!

  9. Anonymous says:

    you rock!