.





























Months ago I drew this funny cake portrait of Marlena of rad blog Self Constructed Freak for the birthday zine her friend was creating for her. I finally ran across her photo of it on her birthday post the other day. The zine came out so cute, I just thought Id share. Flattered they paired my drawing with Tavi's message. Marlena is too cool for school and you should probably check out her blog if you haven't already. Think Poly Styrene punk meets Japanese street fashion meets teen craft culture. Both inspiring and nostalgic to me who also spent my teen years cutting off my hair, wearing neon eye shadow, and rocking homemade clothing– Marlena's home sewn dresses are a hell of a lot better than mine though! Maybe I was too punk to learn proper pattern cutting.

This is the first drawing I've done in a long time. I love drawing people from photos. I'll do it more someday. Happy Belated Birthday Marlena!